Monday 23 May 2011

Going to France

This week week's blog comes to you courtesy of the I-PAD. It’s Saturday. I'm sitting on a coach at 7.45 pm not far short of Scotch Corner. I'm with Mesdames March, Carr and Archer and Mademoiselle Wood as well as 27 tired but happy key stage 3  students. We are returning to Consett after a six day educational visit to Montdidier in the Picardy region of France.

 After a long career in teaching, the past few days have been a brand new experience. I've never taken students abroad before and it was a real eye opener. Pat March is a well seasoned group leader and I learnt a great deal from her meticulous attention to detail.

 First of all, every care was taken to ensure that the whole group was safe at all times. This was especially  true when we were travelling and also when we visited Paris where repeated head counts were necessary in one of the most hectic cities on the planet. Also, Pat saw many and various opportunities to increase students’ knowledge of French culture and history. Even when we were on the coach she would take to the microphone to point out features of interest we were passing by.

 But the main learning objective of the visit was to improve spoken French. I’m certain that this was achieved because my own very rudimentary French was enhanced by Pat’s tuition.


 (Now at this point  I can't resist the opportunity to complain once again about my secondary education. I passed French O level ...somehow... but the first time I actually spoke French was when, as an ungainly 15 year old and after several years of French lessons, I was ushered into the deputy head’s office for my GCE oral test with an examiner from the exam board. This experience was made all the more farcical by my somehow managing to steer the conversation to  the aerodynamics if the Concord. I wish I had it on tape and I’m still amazed that I passed with such pitiful support from my French teachers who placed so little value on actually speaking the language.)

 Anyway, Pat's influence helped me lose my self consciousness about speaking a foreign tongue and I hope that the kids feel the same. They certainly managed the shopping trip to Montdidier market on Thursday when Pat had set them the challenge of buying their picnic lunch with bonus points for making healthy choices.

 So many thanks to Pat March and the other adults for making the trip so happy and gainful. Oh, and to the students too for their enthusiasm and excellent behaviour.

 In a way, the visit was part of my signing off from Moorside. I'll always treasure the memory of standing in such delightful company at the top of the Eiffel Tower, with the magnificent Parisian cityscape spread before us.

No comments:

Post a Comment