Sunday 9 January 2011

New Year...New Era?

First of all, a happy new year to all of my readers.


As you might know, I’m very good at holidays and I must say that I’ve had a happy (even fun packed) Christmas break and some lovely presents. Books and music in abundance, of course, and a radio controlled helicopter which I crash landed in the dining room. I’m hoping that some of the bright sparks in year 7 will show me how to fly it one lunchtime this week.


Anyway, I like to squeeze every ounce out of my time off, so I’ve just treated myself to an icy solo traverse of the Simonside ridge before resuming normal service tomorrow.

And, as always, I’m dying to get back.

Linda Rodham has produced some fascinating data on year 11 which shows that we might score some very good results again this summer so that will be our main focus. Also, I was bombarded with new ideas by the staff last term, so watch this space for news about what we’re going to do with thinking skills, reading for pleasure, boys dance, I-Pads and, believe it or not, jewellery making.

But the big issue in 2011 will be whether or not we become an academy and the massive changes that might follow.


You’ll know from our home page that an offer of over 20 million pounds has been made by the government for the new building. There’s some doubt that this will be enough for the iconic accommodation for 1700 pupils which the sponsors envisage, but we should know if the offer is accepted by the end of this month.


I just want to restate my commitment that, whatever happens, my staff and I will do our best to make sure that the students come first and that Moorside’s standards continue to rise.


So 2011 might see the start of a new era, with many of us doing different jobs and working in a different way.


But the Moorside spirit will go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment